Client Since: 2014
Location: Medford, Oregon
Today we’re featuring TicketForce client The Craterian Theater at The Collier Center for the Performing Arts. Originally a business building designed by architect Frank C. Clark, it housed law offices, shops, and a theater leased by George A. Hunt. A naming contest settled the name of the theater, a creative juxtaposition of nearby Crater Lake and the word “Criterion.”
The Craterian saw its grand opening on October 24, 1924, with a sold-out audience of nearly 1200 coming to see the play “The Havoc.” The Craterian became a popular venue for silent films, Vaudeville and theatrical acts, and eventually talking pictures. Sadly, the popularity dwindled due to owner changes, building alterations, and the sale of the original grand Wurlitzer organ. Audiences began drifting to multi-screen theaters and home television, and the Craterian was left forgotten.
In 1985, the Craterian Performance Company (CPC), a nonprofit group of volunteers, was formed in order to turn the Craterian into a performing arts center to be used for public multi-purpose use. $5.2 million was pledged by more than 600 individuals, businesses and foundations, as well as the state, county, city and the urban renewal agency.
In 1997 the newly renovated Craterian Theater reopened. Today it is a state-of-the-art performance venue and gathering place for the community. With seating up to 750, the auditorium is intimate, with the advantage of a large stage that can accommodate a variety of acts.
Tickets for the 2015-16 season are now on sale at craterian.ticketforce.com.