Welcome to the first post of our series, Marketing to Your Millennial Audience.
We’re kicking off this week talking about YouTube, and how to use it to market to a younger audience and engage your fans. YouTube offers the opportunity for you to blow your fans and patrons out of the water by providing live footage from events and productions, as well as behind-the-scenes footage that only you can provide.
WHAT IS YOUTUBE?
YouTube is a video site that allows users to upload, share and watch videos. Launched in 2005, the site has done nothing but grow fast. It is the third most visited website, next to Google and Facebook. Videos can be given a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" and users can leave comments and feedback. Millennials love the social aspect of the site: videos can go viral by a click of the “share” button, which means your video has the potential to be seen by millions of viewers.
YOUTUBE QUICK STATS AND FACTS
- YouTube reports 4 billion video views . . . PER DAY
- YouTube is the third most visited website
- YouTube is the second largest search engine
- 60 hours of video is uploaded . . . PER MINUTE (that's one hour of video per second!)
- The average user spends 15-25 minutes a day on the site
- There are over 400 tweets per minute that include a YouTube link
WHAT TO SHARE?
YouTube gives you the power to showcase your business or venue in a different way, as well as promote events and experiences in a more visual manner, which can potentially turn into increased ticket sales.
- Live streaming. Millennials famously have #FOMO (Fear of Missing Out), and setting up a live stream of your event can boost the fan engagement and draw a new audience to your site.
- Preview footage. Get fans and patrons excited by promoting a future event with footage from a similar event that recently occurred.
- Backstage access. What better way to connect your fans to their favorite artists or performances than by providing a "sneak peek" at what goes on backstage? Millennials are drawn to information that’s promoted as being “exclusive” – use it to your advantagee.
- Promotions. If you're a promoter, connect with fans and patrons of future shows and events by uploading a video that highlights upcoming events.
- Exclusive Interviews. There’s that word again—Millennials want access to information they consider exclusive. Uploading interviews with artists and performers along with event footage is a great way to give your fans a more engaging experience: getting them excited about shows beforehand, and keeping them talking about it afterward.
UPLOADING VIDEOS & LIVE STREAMING
Creating a YouTube account takes seconds (longer than the average time it takes to upload a video!). If you already have a Google Account, then you can log in right away.
Do you have footage from that concert from last night? Or maybe you have a great artist interview from backstage? Upload your video to share with fans and followers.
Setting up a live stream is the best way to engage with your fans in real-time. Go live instantly by downloaded YouTube’s encoder—you can even interact with the audience using live chat, and share the link across your social media platforms. (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853700?hl=en)
Pro Tip: YouTube offers simple editing tools for your uploads, allowing users to apply special video effects and audio all through the YouTube dashboard.
Don't forget to share your videos on your social networks for maximum fan engagement—tweet the link to your live stream, share on Facebook, and embed on your website.